Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday launched the first Greenfield Smart Industrial City, Auric City, at Shendra in Aurangabad. Once completed, this ambitious project is expected to attract around Rs. 70,000 crores in investment. This huge project is expected to play an important role in the overall development of the drought-hit Marathawada region of Maharashtra. This project is a part of the forthcoming Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor and will boost the economy of the region.
Auric City is also claimed to be India’s first ‘walk-to-work’ smart industrial city. This will persuade housing options, workplaces, and shopping complexes to be developed close to each other.
While dedicating this project to the country, Modi said, “Aurangabad is not only becoming a new smart city but also is going to become a centre of the nation’s industrial activities and once fully operational will create lakhs of jobs. In the new- age digital era ecosystem, requirements of businesses are rapidly evolving and such businesses which frame their value proposition on smart technologies, it makes sense to provide them with a comprehensive ecosystem that itself is smart.”
PM Modi also inaugurated the administrative headquarters of the smart city, Auric Hall. The whole Auric City and its facilities will be operated from this administrative headquarters.
Where is Auric City situated?
Auric City is located at a distance of about 15 km from the main city of Aurangabad. It is situated 8 km east of the Aurangabad Airport. Aurangabad is an important urban and industrial hub of this otherwise parched region.
Some Facts About Auric City
- Auric is an acronym from Aurangabad Industrial City.
- It aims to create a high-quality and sustainable urban environment for people to live and work.
- It will have a well-established transport system with high-end connectivity with the main Aurangabad city.
- There will not be any kind of threat to the existing natural landscape including existing water bodies, lakes, creek, etc.
- To support the biodiversity of the region, horticulture and plantation drives will be promoted.
- The City’s green infrastructure will boast of open spaces, parks, natural ponds, and streams.
Main Attractions in Auric City
This Greenfield Smart Industrial City will have the following main attractions:
- Existing water bodies including five lakes and creek.
- The Creek Line
- AURIC hall
Auric City has already attracted an investment of Rs. 3600 crores from 50 units. Some of the prominent investors include South Korean conglomerate Hyosung Corporation, and an American conglomerate Perkins, which is the world’s largest spandex producer.